11 October 2009

When I say Pear, you say Butter

A few weeks ago, a friend from church asked me if I wanted some pears from his neighbor's pear tree. I responded with a resounding yes and got ready with my canning jars and pressure canner. From the Ball Blue Book of preserving I found the following recipe. And from the following photo you may see just how well my pear butter turned out and how eagerly it was received and consumed. Not to worry, I have 2 and a half more happy pints in my cabinet to enjoy all winter long. Which will be the perfect time to eat this batch of butter given that the hint of nutmeg and the orange peel make the whole thing taste like Christmas.

pear butter 10-5-09

Pear Butter
6 to 7 pounds pears (about 20 medium)
4 cups of sugar (use less! perhaps 3 cups?)
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup orange juice

To Prepare Pulp: Wash pears. Core, peel and slice pears. Combine pears and 1/2 cup water in a large saucepot. Simmer until pears are soft. Purée using a food processor or food mill, being careful not to liquefy. Measure 2 quarts pear pulp.

To Make Butter: Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Yield: about 4 pints

1 comment:

Mom said...

I can testify to the yumminess!